Followers

Monday, October 19, 2015

Happiness Is..



When I started to blog, it means I'm sad..

“Those who have a ‘why’ to live, can bear with almost any ‘how’.” -Viktor Frankl



Let me be clear, I want to be happy. I have searched high and low for happiness and in my years of life I am not sure I have experienced it fully, and now I know why. Like a lost and meandering child, I was looking for the wrong thing in all of the wrong places, always projecting my happiness into some far off land of the future. What I have come to realize is that meaning is more important than happiness. If you find meaning, happiness will come to you in spades. The question is how do we find meaning?

So what is happiness? Is it a state of mind? Is it having more things? Is it really different for everyone? Is it security? What is security? We have all met the guy who has every toy imaginable, a cooler job than Hugh Heffner, and a beautiful wife, who stops traffic when she walks down the street. But for some reason, he never seems happy. How is that possible? How is it even possible that billionaires and people who seem to have it all, deal with depression? Do they lack meaning in their lives? -Unknown

Steve Jobs, one of my personal hero’s said, 

“The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle.”

I agree with Jobs wholeheartedly. I think to many of us settle. Why? Because we are afraid, that’s why. The other problem is that most people have no clue what they love or want to do.

The truth is that many of us don’t even know what makes us happy because we haven’t searched for it, and we are plagued with what I call the, “What if Syndrome.” Kalau aku kaya, for instance.


That (anything) would make me happy. I deserve that.
You do deserve that, but how will you get there?

Like you, I am a victim of the Internet, constantly buying into the false hype of people’s fake profiles and misleading pictures. I scroll for hours looking at people’s lives and think, “You don’t wanna get married anyway, that is for people who have given up on their dreams.” Of course that isn’t true, but I have to justify why somebody looks happier than me on Facebook, am I right?



“Look at how much fun his life is.” “She just got her dream job;” and on and on it goes. If you’re like me, after two hours of going down the Facebook wormhole, you feel like shit. Nothing is ever good enough. “My house isn’t big enough.” “My job doesn’t pay enough.” “I am not strong enough.” “I am not even pretty enough.” Says who?! According to whom? We all need to have our needs met, I understand that. I am coming off debts and the last boy I loved already had a baby. During this incredibly rough time, money was always an issue. I truly believe with more cheddar in the bank, some of the stress is relieved. People who say money can’t buy happiness are generally lazy and don’t want to work hard, and they use that as an excuse. 


I need to be productive. That is how I generally feel most energized. Why? Because when we are making progress, it generally means we have purpose and or meaning; which we will get to later. Don't have time to be sad. Refurnish my goals. And yeap don't settle. YET



GOOD LUCK SHEL!





XOXO




No comments: